Lanarchy LAN Events in North London Forum

Go Back   Lanarchy LAN Events in North London Forum > Gaming > Console Gaming

Old 10-03-10, 03:10 PM   #1
Deviant
Sergeant

Send a message via MSN to Deviant Send a message via Yahoo to Deviant
Default Consoles and handhelds

Im thinking of buying a console or a handheld console like a psp or ds or something, but im not sure what to get.

Generally speaking i want something i can take on holidays with me without difficulty but also will play in between holidays, naturally a handheld device would be the best thing but im not sure what to get.

What is better, psp or nds? or should i simply go for a console? I suppose the psp has higher level titles than the DS, but is it worth the money@? Essentially does anyone already own any of these and if they do can they name the best games available on these platforms so i can try and decide if its worth my time/money in getting one or not.
Deviant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-10, 07:45 PM   #2
Roquey
Corporal

Why not ask a guy that has about 13 of each at work?

I reckon id personally choose the PSP, with a better range of games that are non family orientated, unless you plan to buy multiple DS' for other people that are with you. Also the PSP can play fulms if you go buy them.

As for games to suggest i only personally own a DS but if your looking for longevity then peek at the final fantasy games.
4GB Ram
2x Radeon HD 4670
LG BR/DVD RW

Roquey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-10, 10:40 AM   #3
LFFPicard
Lieutenant

Send a message via MSN to LFFPicard

I would go for a PSP, i had one for a while.
Traded in a old PS2 console for it, and got a custom firmware on it, if you dont have or cant get a pandora battery most PSP hack sites have people offering custom firmware services in your area.
From then you can download and install any game, and better yet you can get get Snes and Mega Drive roms on your PSP. As well as that if you still have any PS1 games or can get any, you can burn them onto your PC and make custom images for your PSP.
Obviously for all this to work you will need to pay a little extra and get a memory card, but you can get a micro SD and converter for it. I bought the 8gb stick and was plenty for about 300roms, 5 PSP games and a couple films.

LFFPicard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-10, 11:13 AM   #4
Gamith

You can do a similar thing with the DS - get a replacement card which you load games rom's and other items onto. You can even change the OS on the console to act like a PDA or a multi-media device.

The DS's strength is more focussed on fun, whereas I feel the PSP is for more serious gamers, so it would depend on what you intend to do with it I guess.
Playing bomberman, for example, on the DS is really fun, but playing movies would not be as good as the PSP.
For commuting for instance I would think the PS might be better, since the DS's dual screen could be more vulnerable to bags being swung into it for instance.

ttfn
LG DVD-RW + DL
1x 1Tb Deskstar
Corsair 650W PSU
Corsair H50 water-cooling system
Gamith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-10, 12:47 PM   #5
Deviant
Sergeant

if i got it i doubt i would do that stuff, i would just use it normally, i may be into downloading for pc, but im not into downloading stuff for consoles etc.
Deviant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-10, 02:40 PM   #6
HUNTER
Major

Send a message via ICQ to HUNTER Send a message via AIM to HUNTER Send a message via MSN to HUNTER

I've got both PSP & DS and I have more fun on the DS, loads of great titles and with the PSP going for digital downloads for the PSP Go it's a little annoying as the number of titles in shops is dropping.
15/16 4-9-0 | 16/17 9-4-0 | 17/18 6-2-0
HUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-10, 02:49 PM   #7
snessy
Sergeant

Send a message via MSN to snessy

i bought a DS on release long ago and have had many hours of enjoyment. yes you can buy a unofficial device that allows you to store your roms on a flash card.

Nintendo have never really made any effort to stop these devices being used. Sony on the other hand have(there were tricks to get roms on psp to). Sony kept on releasing firmware updates to tackle the problem. it was a pain because new games required the updates and you couldn't rollback the updates either. in the end i stuck with the DS.
snessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-10, 09:55 AM   #8
Deviant
Sergeant

I know i have been banging on about whether to get a console or not, but previously my decision has always come down to money, in the end i have decided the cost of a console or a handheld is too much and not bothers. However I now have a load of money spare and can easily afford a new gaming device like a handheld or even a full next gen console.

If I had not of already got my super duper pc i would have spent my new found money on that, as it is I have that and so am once again considering getting a console.

But I for the life of me have no idea what to get, I really cant decide. For me the decision is about lastability and gaming availability. The options as I see it are: I have upto about 400 that i can spend if i so wish.

Nintendo DSi - relatively cheap at 150, i could easily get the console some accessories and 5 or 6 games maybe more for it. I have previously had the Nds and dont really know what the difference is between the ds and the dsi. However games are a little limited there does not appear to be any hard games, they are all cutsie nintendo titles naturally. Now i have previously owned a DS and so already completed super mario world, mario kart and a few other of the older classic awesome titles. Is there anything more recent that would interest me as a gamer? P.s. im not interested in brain academy.

Playstation Portable - This I believe is around the 250 mark and I think has also been redesigned to have a bigger screen and a smaller size or some such, Obviously the cost for this device is extortionate especially when you can get the new ps3 for just 20 more. For me though the psp is a proper gaming handheld device. But the question is again are there any decent titles now out or coming soon. Everything I have seen that are classed as the bestsellers have been out for years. And once again I have had this handheld device before and played all the big name best sellers. What else is there for this to offer. P.s. i find the umd films utter crap and last time i used it for that i got a bad neck.

Playstation 3 - This is probably the console i consider getting the most, I owned it for a brief time but because i hit some money troubles had to return it within 2 weeks of recieving it. In that time I managed to complete star wars the force unleashed, play metal gear solid and play burnout briefly. Burnout was good enough to convince me to get it on pc. Metal gear solid i hated back then, but im a little more open to third person games now thanks to assassins creed 2 and just cause 2. Star wars i liekd but it didnt thrill me. However since that time some amasing titles have been released including the obvious and now very cheap little big planet. However what i dont want to do is get this console if all the games it recieves are also going to come out on pc. Does anyone know of any titles coming out that would be better on ps3 than pc or arent coming to pc? Also it would be nice to have a semi portable blue ray player.

Xbox 360 - The one console i have never owned, I have however played a friends and in every way it felt inferior to the ps3, loading times, install times, all felt kinda crap and slow. Anmd lets be honest no matter how you dress it up as a next gen console it was released a long time before the ps3 and cant really compete with it.

Ok so after my description of the 4 main options, my mind seems to naturally point towards the ps3 as the console to get, but is it worth getting, that is what i am unsure about. Can anyone offer me their opinions on the games they like if they own a ps3, games they are looking forward to and possibly how they compare to the pc counterparts. Any info could help my decision.
Old 29-03-10, 11:37 AM   #9
borandi

Send a message via MSN to borandi

DS vs DSi, DSi can access the web and has various cameras. It also can't play GBA games. The DS isn't really a regular gaming machine - good for plane journeys, long trips to the toilet etc. You have to really like RPGs (Pokemon, Final Fantasy, Phantasy Star), platformers (seems like you've played most of the good ones) or tactical strategy to see the DS as a good purchase/investment..

PSP is dying slowly. Certain developers will keep plugging out games for it (i.e. God of War), but support is drying up.

PS3: I was a big PS2 fan, but the PS3 never appealed. For what it was, it was expensive, and no serious PS3 only titles took my fancy (ever since FF13 got announced for 360). It's an open system and good for modding (Linux, HDD, w/e), but Sony do sometimes screw up with updates, bricking systems. Gamebase is OK, with varying amounts of titles. Developers find it hard to program for though, but that is becoming less of an issue.

360: I've owned 3 in my time, a UK Pro, a US core, and a UK Elite (as a Pro upgrade). I spent a good amount of hours (1000s) in the Gamerscore race, playing every available game that was released. I can tell you now, it's not slow. The only game that HAS to be installed on it is the Forza expansion and the Oblivion expansion. The game base is huge - developers love the fact that it's an x86/64 platform, and that MS pumps huge money into supporting software for it. Yes you can't mod it, and it costs to play online, but if you're quibbling over 3/month (which for some reason PS3 owners do), then why not buy Lidl shampoo, really, save you that 76p. The new Elite edition due out soon comes with a 250GB HDD, and the 360 system has the option to let you copy games onto the HDD to speed up loading times, as well as stop the CD drive from spinning causing noise/heat. With regards the problems of overheating and the RRoD, they are 99.99% all fixed with the latest updates. I've had 2 RRoDs on my oldest 360, and they took less than 2 weeks to fix, and I got a free wireless controller the second time.

I'm biased, and I'd say get a 360. It's truly a console worth shelling out for. Even just for Crackdown 2 : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tnnhj...eature=related
Intel Core i7 920 D0 @ 3.3Ghz :: ASRock Exteme3 :: 2x XFX 5850 OCed in Crossfire :: 3x2GB OCZ Blade DDR3-1600 6-7-6-20 1T :: Samsung 64GB SSD :: Thermaltake Element G :: Enermax Modu87 Gold 600W PSU :: Logitech G15 + Dell 6-Button Laser + Everglade Titan

borandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-10, 05:22 PM   #10
LFFPicard
Lieutenant

Myself, i am a PS3 fan.

PSP as mentioned is a dying breed, and from what i heard the PSP is slowly moving over to digital content, witch is rather strange for a hand held..

DSi - Childs toy.. all simple gimmicky games, and they have just re-released pokemon in full colour on DS.

360 - Well, with a 54.2% failure rate (Source) is there really anything else i need to say about it?

PS3 - The far superior console, yes it was hard to develop for because of the number of cells or something like that, but that is no longer an issue, and some of the Sony exclusive games are great, Uncharted for example, Motorstorm is also a good one. 360 may try and snatch the exclusive market with GTA expansions but at the end of the day there only expansions for a 4+year old game.
There have been many arguments about PS3 vs 360, like colour, contrast AA and all that, but at the end of the day if you have a decent telly you can set it up to make any next gen console look great.

My main selling points when i got a PS3 were:

Expandable HDD - Sony actually encourage you to swap the HDD for a larger one of your own, and this does not void the warranty in any way, they even made the process as simple as remove a panel and pull it out the console.

Blu-Ray - Yes, a big winner here, Blu Ray won the HD contest so PS3 automatically gets plenty of brownie points for this.

Wireless - Built in wireless as standard, so no paying out 60 for a M$ wireless adapter.

Rechargable controllers - As standard the controllers are rechargeable, whereas the 360 is supplied with batteries and recharge pack is a extra cost.

six axis - Standard from the start but not often utilized... Six Axis makes your PS3 controller pretty much like a Wii controller, with small bearing or weights in the controller or something like that you can control a helicopter in GTA IV by just tilting the controller around, control cars and bikes in Pure and other such games.

X-bar dashboard - Looks so much better than the current xbox dashboard, easy to follow and get around, also the console comes with a built in folding program so if you want to help research gene splicing in your gaming down time, load it up and away it goes.

Media center - With very good media sharing support, plug and play external usb devices (Mainly Fat32 HDD's) you can run most media from the console or external device very easily. The only gripe yet to be addressed is a lack of ability to organise the media into folders on the console.

I think i have rambled on enough

Old 29-03-10, 05:54 PM   #11
Curfish
Lieutenant

Wasn't the main selling point that you got it free with a mobile phone contract?

Xbox = more games, better online content.

Ps3 has blu ray wooo what a massive failure that is, SEALED rechargable controllers so when that battery dies it's new controller time.

Xbox failure rate, microsoft step up and give 3 year warrenty for rrod problem, ps3 yellow light problem Sony say "tough shit"

I owned a ps3 and it's a good console but sold it and went to Xbox, the pros more than make up for the cons

And with the 100 quid you save get a few decent games!!
Old 29-03-10, 06:11 PM   #12
HUNTER
Major

Send a message via ICQ to HUNTER Send a message via AIM to HUNTER Send a message via MSN to HUNTER

Had a 360 for years. Working for Gamestation in the past I've seen my share of problems with both 360 and PS3.

The problem with the PS3 in terms of developers isn't the problem with cores, it's that the development package Sony provided is crap and even middleware developers like Epic are struggling to get their Unreal Engine sorted properly.

PSP is dying a pretty quick death from what I've seen, though I'm keeping it for the chance to play FFVII on it.

I've got a DS and there are some great titles for it. Want a DSi XL.
15/16 4-9-0 | 16/17 9-4-0 | 17/18 6-2-0
HUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-10, 06:46 PM   #13
borandi

Send a message via MSN to borandi

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFFPicard View Post
360 - Well, with a 54.2% failure rate (Source) is there really anything else i need to say about it?
That's like saying you're 1-0 up in a football match and lose 2-1 due to two goals in the 89th minute, then say you had a 98.9% winning rate in that game.

The latest chipsets have a failure rate comparable to the PS3, with a much better warranty and return and repair service.
Intel Core i7 920 D0 @ 3.3Ghz :: ASRock Exteme3 :: 2x XFX 5850 OCed in Crossfire :: 3x2GB OCZ Blade DDR3-1600 6-7-6-20 1T :: Samsung 64GB SSD :: Thermaltake Element G :: Enermax Modu87 Gold 600W PSU :: Logitech G15 + Dell 6-Button Laser + Everglade Titan

borandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-10, 07:57 PM   #14
LFFPicard
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curfish View Post
Wasn't the main selling point that you got it free with a mobile phone contract?
Yes, but i had the choice of PS3 or a Xbox.
the next time round i opted for a Wii instead of a Xbox aswell.

Fair points on M$ stepping up the warrenty etc, but there should not have been a issue to that magnitude anyway. I know hardware fails. but surely not that often.

Also, Sony's issues witht he YLOD are not a case of "Tuff Shit" i had that issue, i rang them up, done 3 simple tests and they replaced the console the next working day. Not even waiting for repair, they just replaced it for me.

Old 29-03-10, 09:27 PM   #15
Deviant
Sergeant

I think after weighing up all the pros and cons i will get a ps3, however as my mobile phone contract is ready for renewel in a couple of weeks. I think ill simply cancel my current contract and get a new one with tmobile and get a lovely ps3 slim for free, why pay.

I had completely forgotten you could get decent extra like that, my contracts tend to cost around 40 anyway the amount i use my phone so i might as well get a ps3 free, and then a reasonable backup phone and keep using my google g1 for the time being.

All in all not bad.

One question though about phones, when my contract ends if i cancel my contract does the mobile get locked and if so how do i unlock it to be used and how much would that cost. And for that matter who does it?

Tags
consoles, handhelds