Lanarchy LAN Events in North London Forum

Go Back   Lanarchy LAN Events in North London Forum > Gaming > Console Gaming

Old 26-02-10, 02:08 AM   #1
CO|noR
Corporal

Default Heavy Rain

This is more like a warning than a review.

Well this is a game thats been hyped from the start of developement and I must say one thing, damn waste of my time and money not to say the producers time and money.

I was very sleepy when I started to play the game and it didnt help playing.. usually when a game is good I tend to wake up but this time I had to take a brake and finish it this evening/night..

Well you play 4 different people throughout the game, the father, retired cop/P.I, a Journalist and an FBI agent.. The story is not good at all, but the end has a nice twist.. Btw, its up to you who ands up alive in the end.. I didnt keep them all alive tho, FBI lost one of them agents...

As for the rest.. graphic is very good. But then you just go around and irritate youre brains out with them stupid controls.. hold R2 to walk and stear with the left analog. like driving a car... the game isnt very difficult either.. doesnt give you any realy hard riddles or task. So as long as you can push the buttons for combos you should do fine.

This game is slow. very slow.. so if you like interactive games and dont mind the bad moving around system, then this is a game for you.. but if you like to participate more in a game, dont bother buying Heavy Rain..

If I were to give this a grade between 1 and 10 it would be 3.. for those who dont want to spend that much money on a 6 to 8 hours of gaming, wait till the prices drops to half.. then maybe, but just maybe its worth it..

well this is just my opinion..
OCZ Vertex ssd 60gb, barracuda 1.5tb
12gb dominater ddr3 1600mhz
1000w corsair psu MOD|
g5 and g19, Roccat Kave 5.1, 24' Hp

CO|noR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-10, 08:08 AM   #2
Deviant
Sergeant

Send a message via MSN to Deviant Send a message via Yahoo to Deviant

Haha i though for a second why have i never heard of this game, then i realised, it was because its a console game. lol. Thankfully it doesnt appear to be on pc.
Deviant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-10, 09:19 AM   #3
AndyCr15
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to AndyCr15 Send a message via Skype™ to AndyCr15

It's funny you post this, I was only commenting on it to Lestat yesterday. First off here's the official trailer -

To be fair, from that it looks quite interesting.

Unfortunately I can't find the ad I kept seeing on TV. It shows the big guy in a convenience store when someone comes in to rob it. You basically get given a bunch of options 'X to intervene Y to open fire' etc. It made it look like one of those old adventure books. 'To do this, go to page 43. To do this, go to page 123'.

I've never seen a game look so dull on a TV advert!
AndyCr15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-10, 09:32 AM   #4
ordoabchao
Corporal

Did anyone play Farenheit/The Indigo Prophecy ? I thought that game was pretty innovative and fun.. this game was made by the same development team so It should be good.. but i dont own a ps3 and wouldnt dream of buying one just to play one game.. nevertheless , looks like a good game , the adverts look good too

/Ur0tsukid0ji_signatureSmall.jpg[/img] [/url]
ordoabchao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-10, 11:08 AM   #5
Deviant
Sergeant

farenheit was good at the time if a little quick time event crazy.
Deviant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-10, 12:41 PM   #6
Lestat
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to Lestat Send a message via Skype™ to Lestat

I have to disagree here having just completed the demo, This is a great game, this is what the CSI games could be like. Its all about the story. You control everything you characters does. THe way you control is very very nice. And now I want a PS3 for myself and the game

Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-10, 03:20 PM   #7
Deviant
Sergeant

hmm i liked farenheit, and i do now have aps3, i will have to try and get hold of the demo to play and see what its like.
Old 15-01-11, 09:14 AM   #8
AndyCr15
Administrator

Default Heavy Rain

Wow, is this one of the slowest paced games I've ever played...

I can't decide if it's terrible or genius though. It's put together more like a film than a game. It's very linear, although apparently your line will change depending what you select.

In many ways, this is what I was asking for though, it is all about the story. It's almost like reading one of those books, 'If you select this, go to page 43, otherwise page 7'

The story seems pretty good though, which is drawing me back to play some more.

Also, I didn't realise, you play a variety of different people, which is interesting. I'm quite looking forward to seeing the end, of which there are apparently 22 different versions!

Also, it's apparently around 12 hours of gameplay, which kinda fits to what I wanted too. With all the different endings though, there is reason, perhaps, to go through again. (If you can take the slow pace)

**EDIT** I forgot to check for a thread already, so have now merged this post onto the old thread. I see I make the same likening to a book again :lol

I would also agree about the controls. Really not very well thought out, R2 and then point the stick to direct your character.

Last edited by AndyCr15; 15-01-11 at 09:18 AM.
Old 21-01-11, 10:05 PM   #9
AndyCr15
Administrator

Well, after a couple of decent sessions yesterday and today, I've finished it.

It was a pretty good ending. As you approach the finale there seem to be more decisions that will probably effect things than you had earlier on. Do I have to play through the whole thing to get to those decisions

Also, how bad do you have to be at pressing the right buttons (I have very little PlayStation experience so when 'X' flashes up, I often hit the wrong button) before you fail? Quite often in a fight, I would be pressing the wrong stuff but still managed to come out the winner.

The control mechanism is really very bad though. Sometimes it would take like 20 seconds to just stand in the right position to be able to open a cupboard or something... Also, your options buzzing round your head can be kinda annoying. Once or twice I didn't get to choose because first it was hard to read, then I was trying to decipher which button to press

Anyway, all in all, a pretty enjoyable game, but don't expect tests of skill...

http://heavyrain.wikia.com/wiki/Heavy_Rain_Wiki

**EDIT** Having looked just a little at the above wiki, it does look quite clever how different things can happen through the game. Maybe I will have to play again and make a different ending

Oh, and it does say apparently you can loose the fights. Wow, I have a little more respect for this game now actually. You think it flows along easily, not realising you've controlled so much I guess.

Last edited by AndyCr15; 21-01-11 at 10:12 PM.

Tags
heavy, rain