Lanarchy LAN Events in North London Forum

Go Back   Lanarchy LAN Events in North London Forum > Gaming > PC Gaming

Old 02-03-11, 05:33 PM   #31
LFFPicard
Lieutenant

Send a message via MSN to LFFPicard

Sounds interesting, when i finally get my nw PC ina couple months I shall give this a go. Untill then my PC will just cry at it.

LFFPicard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-11, 12:16 PM   #32
AndyCr15
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to AndyCr15 Send a message via Skype™ to AndyCr15

My latest blog post is a little about Rift -

http://www.andycr15.co.uk/2011/03/rift-a-new-mmorpg/
AndyCr15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-11, 12:18 PM   #33
Deviant
Sergeant

Send a message via MSN to Deviant Send a message via Yahoo to Deviant

hey guys,

long time no speak, been busy but ive been taking a look at rift and think im going to join this weekend.. When i get back from london download and instal etc as its on steam, nice and easy. So will probably be playing from tomorrow.

What server are you guys all on, ill be playing defiant most likely a duel wilding warrior of some kind. i wasnt sure about this game but i just went through the expose included in the latest pc gamer and decided to jump in after all, wish i had decided last week as i have been on holiday this week and somewhat bored playing games like dow 2 retribution, bullet storm and dragon age 2 all of which kind of suck if im honest. My gf thinks im going off games lol.

Anyway will be joining so if i can join the same server as you guys maybe eventually ill be able to join you guys and guild etc.
Old 12-03-11, 12:49 PM   #34
AndyCr15
Administrator

I think it says earlier on, we're on Shivermere server, playing Defiant. You can get to level 13 pretty quick, then give one of us a shout. (Diamon, Bartholomew and McBain are my characters)
Old 12-03-11, 03:41 PM   #35
Deviant
Sergeant

ok cool thxs, well started the download now, will start playing tomorrow most likely. Currently downloading at 500k on steam which is pretty good considering its the weekend.

So will see you on there once ive got a few levels
Old 13-03-11, 10:54 PM   #36
AndyCr15
Administrator

It's weird... this morning I was almost getting a little bored of the game. Same things over and over, as with most MMO's, but today two things changed.

1) I swapped cores and tried a melee DPS build. Wow! Great fun. Nothing like sneaking up behind someone (in stealth) and unleashing specials on them from behind. You can have someone down in a matter of seconds (I'm talking PvP here)

2) I'm playing in contested zones and there have been quite a few opposition about, lots of organic PvP and it's been awesome. A couple of times I've had that adrenalin rush from battling with 1 or even 2 people and beating them. Of course, a fair few times I got taken to the cleaners.

Add to this, I bumped into a Guild mate in one town and we hooked up to run quests. Both of us on Mumble makes it much better to, chatting with people as you play.

Back to being an awesome game
Old 14-03-11, 04:48 PM   #37
Vikingmenacethe2nd
Corporal

I got a warrior with 3 offensive souls in a build. Is that the best way to go as dps go? I find I have almost too many spells int he catagory "swing your axe into the targeted enemy". Or is it best to combine 3 different ones? 1 dps, 1 tank and 1 support? A trick Im trying on a lowlow lvl alt.

Vikingmenacethe2nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-11, 06:15 PM   #38
AndyCr15
Administrator

Just buy another core and try it on your main. The first extra core is only something like 30g.

I think there is definitely a possibility that souls can be too similar. It's worth playing one build for a while, see which actions and the ones you use the most and if one soul isn't used much, switch something else in.
Old 14-03-11, 11:57 PM   #39
Deviant
Sergeant

i started with a warrior... but got bored very quickly and even though i was going for what i thought was high damage the guys still werent falling down.

In the end i have switched to a mage and jumped up to level 10 very quickly, but there i seem a bit stalled, most of my quests seem out of my league, as soon as my companion dies the creature kills me... the bull creature lvl 12 i think. Anyway i have run back to do some older quests i missed without realising to try and boost my xp level.

The game is very wowish in a good way... But im wondering if it will hold my attention or not once im back at work. any tips on what i should start doing to vary my gaming from the normal grind that usually happens in a mmo?
Old 15-03-11, 07:05 AM   #40
AndyCr15
Administrator

Yeah, don't miss out Quests or the nasties will be higher than you, that's logical surely?

When you get to 12 or 13, run across to Meridian over to the West and do the quests to unlock the other soles. Buy another core for 30g and try some different set ups.

Also, bear in mind, a Mage perhaps isn't a great solo class, as you say, they die very quick. They're great if they team with a tank.

Also, when in Meridian get the PvP Quests (red icon I think) and start some Warfronts to mix it up a little.

If you fancy it, apply to join out Guild -

http://ocuk.guildlaunch.com/index.ph...1998&f=1415277 (Apply is on the left)

If you get Mumble installed, they're a nice bunch to chat with while playing, give lots of great advice on builds too.
Old 15-03-11, 06:41 PM   #41
Vikingmenacethe2nd
Corporal

How does the instancething work? Got my warrior high enough to try IT. Just need a pointer or 2, dont wanna go into it completely blind
Or am I talking about IF?

Last edited by Vikingmenacethe2nd; 15-03-11 at 07:09 PM.
Vikingmenacethe2nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-11, 10:41 PM   #42
AndyCr15
Administrator

Tbh, I haven't really tried instances yet.

Not been such a good evening tbh. I must have run 12-15 Warfronts with a guild friend, and won maybe 1 and drawn 1. It just seems so unbalanced...

Mind you, we then headed to an uncontested area and had some good PvP fun, which we generally won
Old 16-03-11, 11:20 PM   #43
Deviant
Sergeant

hey,

i switched back to my warrior as the mage was getting me down, and have been really enjoying the warrior. Im glad i have two classes to mix it up. Im still only using one core, 2 offensive and a companion one. but im spending my soul points on paragon as exclusively as i can. The companion allows me not to have to worry so much if i get more than my expected targets attacking me.

Im now at level 15, and have run out of 'normal' quests, well not run out there are a few around but it feels like i am waiting for more story. I figure tomorrow ill jump into a bit of pvp quests and maybe consider joining guild, if lvl 15 is considered high enough?

Also enjoying the mining, butchering and armoursmithing which seems a lot better in this game than other mmos.
Old 17-03-11, 07:45 AM   #44
AndyCr15
Administrator

I've not really tried the crafting yet, maybe once I get to 50 (if I ever do...) then I'll take a look.

There's no level limit for the Guild I don't think. It's more about knowing you're enjoying the game. Apply on the link I gave above would be the first thing to do
Old 18-03-11, 12:57 AM   #45
Deviant
Sergeant

ok ill give it a try.. i bought a second soul thing for 30 g... but i have to be honest i dont know how to switch between then etc any tips on that?

Tags
rift