Lanarchy LAN Events in North London Forum

Go Back   Lanarchy LAN Events in North London Forum > Gaming > PC Gaming

Old 07-10-11, 12:34 PM   #1
Deviant
Sergeant

Send a message via MSN to Deviant Send a message via Yahoo to Deviant
Default might need a new graphics card

Ok so, I just checked and my graphics card is only just above new games like battlefield and rages minimum spec... its an Nvidia Geforce GTX 275.

Before now this has been more than needed to run all games at top res... now with battlefield and rage it cannot. Can anyone advise me how i find out how good my motherboard is and advise on what graphics card i should pickup to replace the above?

All my other system specs are well above recommended requirements I am just let down by my graphics card. And at the moment I dont know what motherboard i have in this system... any help, greatly appreciated.
Old 07-10-11, 12:41 PM   #2
AndyCr15
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to AndyCr15 Send a message via Skype™ to AndyCr15

I think there is something like Sisoft Sandra that will scan your system and give you a report.

I just got a 6950, which BF3 looked great on, but part of me wishes I went right to the top and got a 6970, only because everything else its top of the range.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
AndyCr15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-11, 01:18 PM   #3
Deviant
Sergeant

I have played RAGE and Battlefield 3 Beta now on these and both seem to run fine, but I havent checked what the frames per second are yet. But they seem to work alright and both games looked awesome for me too.

I guess this isnt an urgent issue but I think I would like to upgrade anyway, ill see if I can find out what motherboard i have so i can determine what graphics card i can get.

One question is replacing a graphics card in a mcomputer hard to do or tricky? because i am a little uncertain, I have done minor changes before e.g. sound cards and hard drives but normally i dont like to change things. In the past i have never had the money to buy replacement gear and so have usually just waited until my pc is so out of date i have to replace everything. But this computer is only about 1.5 years old so i would rather learn to upgrade i think.
Old 07-10-11, 01:43 PM   #4
Curfish
Lieutenant

That card will run the game fine but i think its only directx 10 i think so you miss out on tje directx 11 goodness

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk
Old 07-10-11, 04:37 PM   #5
LFFPicard
Lieutenant

Send a message via MSN to LFFPicard

PC Wizard - This will tell you everything you need to know about your PC from memory speed to temps.

The next thing would be to work out a budget. And based on your motherboard and the rest of your PC a suitable card can be advised.

Replacing it is just like replacing the soundcard.. the only difference is, boot into safe mode, remove the graphics drivers. Shut down PC, then replace the card.

LFFPicard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-11, 10:08 PM   #6
Deviant
Sergeant

ok I found a free program by belarc called belarc advisor, pretty awesome i have to say it scans you r entire system, gives you all your hardware, software, licenses, security updates loads of stuff.

Anyway it told me my motherboard is: MSI X58 Pro-E (MS-7522) 3.0

I have found some info on it, but lets just say i dont know how that info translates into what gfx card i can get...

My budget is around 150 (i can probably afford more if its a big step up and i wont need to upgrade for some time... but id rather not if i can help it)

My general system specs are:

Windows 7 64bit
3x 2GB Memory (6GB)
2.67 gigahertz Intel Core i7 920 - Multi-core, Hyper-threaded (8 total)

current gfx: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 275

Any help greatly appreciated
Old 08-10-11, 09:23 AM   #7
LFFPicard
Lieutenant

This should do it...

But if you can stretch the money and want a worth while upgrade a 570 will be much better, saying that the 560 I linked can play crysis 2 ultra settings with the graphics pack installed at 1080p, so should do you just fine

Old 08-10-11, 12:08 PM   #8
Deviant
Sergeant

Ok thats great thank you.

so the motherboard would work with a 570... might see what prices they are. Hmmm it occurs to me before i buy anything io better check what psu i have in place, cos if i have to change that too then i might have to give up on the idea.. lol
Old 08-10-11, 01:03 PM   #9
Deviant
Sergeant

Ok so my PS?U is a SL-8850 EPS ... Which from what i can tell is an 850 watt psu.

No big sticker saying 850watt but the power info lists the MAX output at 830W

So ill make sure my gfx card doesnt require more than 700watt just in case and i should be all right.

Looking on ebuyer i have seen the 570 of the same brand is about 110 more expensive... So I doubt ill be able to afford it, will have to consider over the weekend.

Anyway massive thank you for your help I would have been lost otherwise... might need some more help when it comes to installing it... Other than uninstalling the drivers and i assume installing new drivers is it pretty much take the card remove existing card, plug in new card? etc.

I guess ill have to look for some online tutorials on how to do it safely.
Old 08-10-11, 01:41 PM   #10
Deviant
Sergeant

Hey

After comparing the two different graphics cards I dont think the boost i would get from the 570 is worth an extra 110, especially as the 560 comes with batman arkham city as a freebie, which is nice as i liked the first one.

So 150 for the gigabyte 560 and code for arkham city when it comes out. Not bad.
Thank you for everyones help... apparently will arrive monday, so will see then about installing it. heh.
Old 09-10-11, 11:26 AM   #11
LFFPicard
Lieutenant

Your PSU will be fine.

As for installing, yes it is a simple remove and replace..
Just make sure you unplug the power cable on the graphics card first

Old 09-10-11, 12:44 PM   #12
Eriond05

Send a message via MSN to Eriond05

i'd uninstall the old gfx drivers first tho.... not mega important when going nvidia to nvidia but would clean out stuff then install the latest drivers for your new card
Old 09-10-11, 02:44 PM   #13
Deviant
Sergeant

I assume these days new gfx cards come with driver disks? out of curiosity would i need to boot in safe mode when restarting with the new gfx card.

Finally how can i tell which is the power cable for the gfx card... heh.
Old 09-10-11, 03:17 PM   #14
Eostre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviant View Post
I assume these days new gfx cards come with driver disks? out of curiosity would i need to boot in safe mode when restarting with the new gfx card.

Finally how can i tell which is the power cable for the gfx card... heh.
Hi mate

Never use the driver disks that come with the gfx card - always download them from the manufacturer's website or nvidia.com. You don't need safe mode when booting up the first time either.

If you want to be ultra-clean, uninstall your current gfx driver before taking out the old card. Windows has basic/generic drivers which it will use when you install the new card, then you update to the latest driver for your new card.

If you go for the 560, make sure it's the Ti version, not vanilla 560. There's a big different in performance.

As for power connectors, you'll need either 2x 8 pin or 1x8 and 1x6 pin connectors from your psu. Both connectors are 8 pin and 2 of the pins are detachable (not physically, they come away from the block but not detached from the cable).

Also, 850W is plenty headroom for your setup

I recently upgraded from a 1GB XFX GTX280 to a 1.5GB MSI GTX580 Lightning... the difference in performance is amazing
Old 15-10-11, 02:50 PM   #15
Deviant
Sergeant

Hey guys,

I just finished installing my new GeForce GTX 560, and it was a success, I was very timid and it took me a while but thanks to your help IO have dont it and am now updating drivers.

Thanks, will see the difference in rage in a minute... lol if there is one.

Tags
card, graphics