Lanarchy LAN Events in North London Forum

Go Back   Lanarchy LAN Events in North London Forum > Gaming > PC Gaming

Old 25-03-09, 07:53 AM   #1
AndyCr15
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to AndyCr15 Send a message via Skype™ to AndyCr15
Default No Need For Consoles - New Tech 'OnLive'

Quote:
A new online video game distribution network hopes to revolutionise the way people play games and re-write the economics of the industry.

OnLive, to be launched at the Game Developer Conference in San Francisco, aims to let players stream on-demand games at the highest quality level.

The service could signal the end for Playstation, Xbox, and the Wii.

"OnLive is the most powerful game system in the world," said company founder Steve Perlman

"No high-end hardware, no upgrades, no endless downloads, no discs, no recalls, no obsolescence. With OnLive, your video game experience is always state-of-the-art," he declared.

Mr Perlman said that the company has developed a data compression technology that allows games to be powered on remote servers rather than on game consoles.

Users download games instantly through the OnLive MicroConsole or straight onto a PC or Mac. The MicroConsole also connects to any TV. All that is required is a high speed connection.
Interesting in theory. I suppose it's taking Steam to the next step where the content is kept locally and you're streamed your video direct.

Surely, with it still reasonably common place to have lag of 50-100ms, this just couldn't work very smoothly, not matter how good their data compression?

Source
AndyCr15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-09, 08:47 AM   #2
Khan
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to Khan

It's an interesting idea but the net connection is the weakest point. Imagine playing a game and someone else is using the net connection and it goes all laggy! Or not being able to play your games beacuse the net is down.

I do like the idea but I can't really see it working in the current technologies beacuse of the various types of net connections. I don't think we'll see consoles go anywhere for a little while.

Khan
Old 12-03-10, 03:37 PM   #3
snessy
Sergeant

Send a message via MSN to snessy

it's now got a release day for the states - June 17. it already has borderlands, assasin creed signed up.

it would pose problems if you suddenly lost connection or didn't meet the internet speed requirements. but think about all the people who cant afford a console or a gaming pc. if it works, i believe onlive will tap into a new part of the gaming market for sure.
snessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-10, 04:24 PM   #4
tibbsey
Sergeant

It'll be crap.

Intel i7 920 @ 3.4GHz @ 1.1v | Noctua UH12-P SE1366 | Gigabyte x58-DS4 | ATI HD 4870 X2 | 6GB OCZ 1336MHz 7-7-7-21 | X-Fi Fatal1ty Extreme Gamer | 320GB (OS) + 320GB (Games) + 1TB (Data) | 750W Corsair PSU | Lian Li PC-A70B| BenQ G2400WD 24" + LG L226WQT 22"
tibbsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-10, 07:33 PM   #5
snessy
Sergeant

Send a message via MSN to snessy

and you know this because...what?

i dont know much about compression and the tech behind it. its been in development for 8 years and to release it means it works to some degree.
snessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-10, 08:20 PM   #6
LFFPicard
Lieutenant

Send a message via MSN to LFFPicard

I am just trying to work out how this will put consoles out of business?

Maybe i am having a dumb moment, but surely even though it is a highly compressed streamed game surely the miniconsole or pc will need some graphics rendering ability to play it. Or even a cpu to power the A.I etc.
I fail to see how this is nothing more than steam for consoles.
And if it does what it says it does, it still wont remove the need for consoles, as many people have consoles with no internet connection or are out in the sticks and get slow connections. The Onlive service will not be a option for them.

How would the service cope with saved games, offline play, changes in display mode from 420/720/1080p/i etc.

I just don't see this making a big a impact as hyped.

LFFPicard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-10, 10:10 PM   #7
kiwi

Send a message via MSN to kiwi

Cloud computing/processing is the future, although I think there are legal restrictions for some types of business needing to keep data on site.

I am interested to see how this does. Services on the xbox like Zune and Sky already prove that it's possible to stream quite happily.

http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=859 - quite a good article from someone whos actually played it.

Says it uses 750kb/s which is interesting. Would blow my 10meg virgin cap within a couple of hours so then does that mean I cant play because my ISP is tight?

kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-10, 01:20 AM   #8
LFFPicard
Lieutenant

Send a message via MSN to LFFPicard

most standard broadband providers are tight.
either stating unlimited with a fair usage or giving you a limit.

So this would cause issues, as fair usage kicks in at peak times, witch would be when everyone will be wanting to play. And example from my BT i got option 3 witch is meant to be unlimited internet, yet i got a email last month as i almost hit my 100gb/month limit and they would restrict my speed.

LFFPicard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-10, 06:30 PM   #9
AndyCr15
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFFPicard View Post
Maybe i am having a dumb moment, but surely even though it is a highly compressed streamed game surely the miniconsole or pc will need some graphics rendering ability to play it. Or even a cpu to power the A.I etc.
I think you're misunderstanding how it works. There is no AI to be computed at this end, it's all done in the cloud and streamed to you like a TV show, but you have a controller so you can play the game. There is no graphics rendering done this end...

In theory, I can see how it could work. I have a ping of 24, so in theory, for me to press a button and then see the reaction streamed back to me, there would be such a small amount of time difference that it may as well be the same as playing my console.

Of course, serious games, who buy keyboards with smaller compressions of the key so they can have that micro second advantage wouldn't be interested, but then that's perhaps why they're saying it's going after the console market, who aren't serious gamers...
Old 15-03-10, 09:49 AM   #10
Deviant
Sergeant

Send a message via MSN to Deviant Send a message via Yahoo to Deviant

Thats exactly right mcbain, the idea is for people with a small amount of money to be able to get a simple pc for their standard work, perhaps internet browsing or office work and still be able to play high end games.

I personally am not interested, i wish them well and i do hope they succeed in causing damage to the console market as the games companies may then come back to appreciating us pc gamers a little more. But for the most part as im a pc gamer through and through i would rather not have to wait the extra time for a video to stream. I cant imagine the technology works properly at the moment, however i may be wrong.

The company is only allowing an initial audiance of 2500 or 25,000 (i cant remember which) and it is only in america. I assume this is to try and make it as workable as possible, i iamgine they would need the servers in each country they distribute to. So it wouldnt work well if the servers we used in the uk were located in america etc. Although it would only double the ping it would potentialy make the game unplayable.

After all who would want to play a single player game with a ping of 200+. Anyway so i say good luck to them, maybe they will take down the consoles a peg or two, any audience they gain will add to the pc market, because they will most likely be hosting their games through the pc medium which is what they are already showcasing games from. So if they get a bigger market share it will help us pc gamers get a larger focus from the games publishers. We can but hope anyway.
Deviant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-10, 06:09 PM   #11
Lestat
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to Lestat Send a message via Skype™ to Lestat

I personally would be very interested in it more for the single players and co-op console games i wanna play with mates round the house.

Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-10, 10:02 AM   #12
Curfish
Lieutenant

This is fucking impressive!!!

http://www.maxconsole.net/content.ph...oed-on-an-iPad
Old 18-06-10, 12:07 PM   #13
Gamith

I think it would be better with the controls at the bottom of the page, but very impressive - looks to be good frame-rates, though the control seems rather difficult.

ttfn
LG DVD-RW + DL
1x 1Tb Deskstar
Corsair 650W PSU
Corsair H50 water-cooling system
Gamith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-10, 12:50 PM   #14
Curfish
Lieutenant

just think tho with some form of plug in physical controller that would be unreal
Old 27-08-11, 05:09 PM   #15
AndyCr15
Administrator

Has anyone been and tried this? I just played 30 minutes of Dirt 2, then watched a few people play other games. Looks a pretty good service.

The UK Release is Sept 22nd apparently.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-14481101

Tags
consoles, onlive, tech