Lanarchy LAN Events in North London Forum

Go Back   Lanarchy LAN Events in North London Forum > Gaming > PC Gaming

Old 28-08-11, 07:15 AM   #1
AndyCr15
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to AndyCr15 Send a message via Skype™ to AndyCr15
Cool Age of Empires Online

As some of you guys will know, I used to love Age of Empires and then Age of Mythology, so I was intrigued when I saw Age of Empires had gone free to play with their most recent version, Age of Empires Online.

http://ageofempiresonline.com

My understanding is it's actually a little 'dumbed down', which is fine by me, it'd got a little more than I preferred after AoM I think anyway.

The problem would appear to be the prices set on the add-ons, which from what I've read are required to move into the game in any serious way. Even just a Greek Civilisation pack is $20!?!?!?! For a cartoonified, dumbed down version of a game, I would expect to pay this much for the whole thing!!!

Surely EA have over priced this? The 'Season Pass' (6 months of add ons) is $100!!!

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Pr...f-000a4d530fa3

I guess EA are looking at it like an MMO, which people will generally pay $10 a month, but this is priced even above that.

What do you think?
AndyCr15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-11, 05:14 PM   #2
LFFPicard
Lieutenant

Send a message via MSN to LFFPicard

I got the greek premium pack just because i had some left over points on my live account.

I like the game, but it is annoying when every single quest requires you to build up a base and not work out your current city. Makes every quest at least 30mins long if not more. and gets tedious.

Although the quickest way to level up for anyone would be the daily neighbour quest. takes about 5mins for plenty of XP.
The challenge quests are quick and easy too.

I am on Athens server if anyone interested.

LFFPicard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-11, 07:36 AM   #3
AndyCr15
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to AndyCr15 Send a message via Skype™ to AndyCr15

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFFPicard View Post
I like the game, but it is annoying when every single quest requires you to build up a base and not work out your current city.
I've seen a few comments like this and it makes me wonder if these people have never played AoE? This is what happens when you play a scirmish.
AndyCr15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-11, 11:09 AM   #4
LFFPicard
Lieutenant

Send a message via MSN to LFFPicard

Yes true, but you know this when you play a skirmish as it is a new fight entirely.

n AOEO, you have a home city, maybe a bit like AOE3, but instead of using the supplies and units and tech from your home city you have to start from scratch each quest.

It does get a little annoying, especially on the daily quests but at least I can optimize my starting for when i do PvP, at the moment rushing archers is the best method, so i have put all my tech points in archery so far.

LFFPicard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-11, 02:51 PM   #5
HUNTER
Major

Send a message via ICQ to HUNTER Send a message via AIM to HUNTER Send a message via MSN to HUNTER

I am interested. Loved AoM even though I got my ass kicked. Will take a look this evening.
15/16 4-9-0 | 16/17 9-4-0 | 17/18 6-7-0
HUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-11, 10:49 AM   #6
Deviant
Sergeant

Send a message via MSN to Deviant Send a message via Yahoo to Deviant

I have also been considering playing, can anyone give me a no bull***t assesment on whether it worth playing, and if the expansions ar eneeded to really do much more in the game?

I am starting to grow tired of rift and am looking for something else to occupy me while waiting for battlefield 3 and skyrim.

Tags
age, empires, online