Lanarchy LAN Events in North London Forum

Go Back   Lanarchy LAN Events in North London Forum > Interests > Sport & Health

Old 28-04-13, 07:03 AM   #1
AndyCr15
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to AndyCr15 Send a message via Skype™ to AndyCr15
Post 2013 NFL Draft

So how do we feel our teams did in the draft? I have to be honest, I didn't know any of the guys we drafted (but then my college knowledge is still somewhat limited)

Rnd 2 - CB - David Amerson

I think his stock dropped off a lot as he had a poor year. One of the top DB's the previous year, had a couple of bad games in 2012 but from what I can see he has a lot of talent,so hopefully Raheem Morris can bring the best back out of him and we have a solid starter for a number of years.

Rnd 3 - TE - Jordan Reed - It looks like the Redskins are trying to bring a new style of TE to the league. We converted a WR to TE that is a relatively small guy, (Niles Paul, 6'1 and 233) and now we've drafted Reed at 6'2 and 236. Fred Davis is trimmed down, but the biggest of the bunch at 6'4 and 247.

Surely a small, agile TE that plays in all different positions and doesn't block to well, is a receiver?

Still, the guy looks pretty talented, so will be a welcome weapon to the offence.

Rnd 4 - S - Phillip Thomas

This guy has a knack for turnovers, which it looks like Shannahan has been after in the draft. He seems quite a physical safety too. I like the look of him.

Rnd 5 - RB - Chris Thompson

Quite small, but looks to have some great pace. I guess Shanny is looking for a 3rd down back to compliment Morris. Thompson has had two injuries in the last couple of years though, to his back and knee, which both worry me a little.

Rnd 5 - DE Brandon Jenkins

The 5th round with the FSU round obviously. This guy got injured before the 2012 season.

Rnd 6 - S - Bacarri Rambo

Another physical Safety with a knack for turn overs. Looks a talented player. Has two drug suspensions, but the Redskins say they've doe their homework and are happy he's moved on from that.

Rnd 7 - RB - Jawan Jamison

Really like the look of this kid. He seems to 'understand' running with the ball. Look at some of the cuts he makes, against the flow, to spring through a gap and he's off. Again, a possible 3rd down back to compliment Morris. I think Shanny might have done it again with a late round RB pick up. Time will tell I guess.

All in all I'm quite pleased with the Skins draft. We really need to sort our secondary and hopefully we've done so. We have 1 more year of the salary cap issue, then we can go for it in free agency next year and I would hope for us to be a serious contender in 2014.
AndyCr15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-13, 07:16 PM   #2
Azreal
Major

Send a message via ICQ to Azreal Send a message via AIM to Azreal Send a message via MSN to Azreal Send a message via Yahoo to Azreal Send a message via Skype™ to Azreal

RAVENS DRAFT

Got to be honest I prefered Jonathan Cyprien (who the Jags drafted) over Matt Elam who the Ravens got with the 32nd pick ,but Im glad that they addressed the importance of getting a safety first over a linebacker which this draft was already deep with.

1.32 Safety Matt Elam

reminds me of Bob Sanders

2.56 Arthur Brown LB

I love this pick, he is a little undersized which is why he slipped but has got great speed and loves to tackle, reminds me of niners linebacker NaVorro Bowman

3.94 Brandon Williams DT

Huge player (335 pounds) uses his body very well for his size, racked up 26 sacks over the last 3 seasons as a DT.cant wait to see what him and Ngata together. (there is a youtube clip of him walking on his hands)

4.129 John Simon DE/LB

a more athletic version of former Raven Jarrett Johnson.Captain of the Ohio Buckeyes, tries to emulate his game off of former position coach and former pats LB Mike Vrabel.

4.130 Kyle Juszcyk FB

This pick is a little confusing and it leaves a lot of Raven fans wondering if they going to cut Vonte Leach ( they will save 4mill in cap)

5.168 Ricky Wagner OT

Glad the Ravens addressed the importance of the OT position,esp since LT Bryan Mckinnie remains unsigned,they could have addressed it earlier but from what I learnt offensive line coach Juan Castillo has a great ability to develope late round prospects into nfl starters (aparently when he was with the Eagles they only drafted just two 1st round linemen the 13 years he was the head O-line coach)

6.200 Kapron Lewis-Moore DT
Tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee in the national championship game loss to Alabama,will spend the yr on the IR

6.203 - Ryan Jensen OL
Had a 4th round grade by some of the teams, also learnt that 21 teams went to his pro day. that's a ton for a lower profile guy. John Harbaugh said he will start of playing centre.Supposedly athletic and has a nasty temperament

7,238 Aaron Mellete WR

Posession type wr who put up huge numbers but in a small school which probably effected his draft grade, with Bolden leaving he has a decent has a chance to compete for the no2 wr spot against Jacoby Johnes,David Reed, LaQuan Williams, Deonte Thompson and Tommy Streeter.

7,247-Marc Anthony DB

scouting report from Senior Bowl
Quote:
was probably the strongest corner on hand. Displaying good anticipation and burst, he consistently won at the top of the route. Playing without fear, he put himself on the radar against good competition, sending scouts back to the tapes.

Im very happy with the Ravens draft they addressed 2 holes (safety/Linebacker due to Rey Lewis retiring and Ed Reed going to the Texans) which needed to be filled with the first 2 picks I personaly love the Arthur Brown pick.This year it seems that Ozzie and scouted more of the smaller schools than before.Ive no doubt that the Ravens will continue to be a contender in the upcoming season.

Draft Grade B+
Crusaders:FFLUK 2011 Champions
Crusaders:FFLUK 2012 Champions
Crusaders:FFLUK 2013 runners up
Crusaders:FFLUK 2014 Champions
Crusaders:FFLUK 2015 5-8
Crusaders:FFLUK 2016 Champions

twitter Ello
Azreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-13, 12:24 AM   #3
Spiff

Send a message via MSN to Spiff

I am really excited how the Seahawks are coming together this offseason. They drafted pretty well I think. Except I did wish them to pick up more than one offensive lineman. One area that I think we still have a need.
Old 29-04-13, 10:31 AM   #4
HUNTER
Major

Send a message via ICQ to HUNTER Send a message via AIM to HUNTER Send a message via MSN to HUNTER

The Chargers had a couple of decent picks, looking forward to the O-Line being rebuilt and Te'o should slot in very nicely at LB with the switch in formation.

Allen should also help boost the WR's as Meachem was a total bust
15/16 4-9-0 | 16/17 9-4-0 | 17/18 6-7-0
HUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-13, 07:11 PM   #5
Crippler2032
Major

Send a message via ICQ to Crippler2032 Send a message via MSN to Crippler2032

I loved the Rams draft, am really liking Snead and Fisher working together to improve the team. Still got 2 first rounders next year, the RG3 trade is really helping us become a better team in what is probably now one of the strongest divisions in the NFL (who'd of thought that a few years ago!)

Round 1 - Pick 8 - WR Tavon Austin

Absolutely love this pick, he might be small but he was the best playmaker in the draft, and adds a much needed weapon to our offense and return ability

Round 1 - Pick 30 - LB Alec Ogletree

Has had off the field issues, but has top 10 talent (I listen to Mike Mayock). Can play inside or outside at LBer and should slot in great next to Dunbar and James Laurinaitis making our LBing core a strength. Former Safety, with speed/ability to cover a TE.

Round 3 - pick 9 - S T.J. Mcdonald

Hard hitting safety, was team captain at USC, much better in the box than in coverage.

Round 3 - pick 30 - WR Stedman Bailey

Another West Virginia WR, probably more like Danny Amendola than Austin is, great route runner with great hands, physical WR who plays bigger than his 5'10 size. Had more catches, yards, touchdowns & better YPC than Austin last season. Also love the fact he's already reached out to Torry Holt about coaching and improving as a WR.

Round 4 - pick 16 - OG Barrett Jones

Another pick I absolutely love, great value in round 4. Jones started all 5 positions during his career at Alabama, can play anywhere needed on the Rams OL, could start at LG as a rookie, suspect he ends up at C when Scott Wells retires. Rams OL suddenly doesn't look as bad with the additions of Jones & Jake Long.

Round 5 - pick 16 - CB Brandon McGee

Have to admit I know very little about McGee, was a team captain at Miami, and will probably our #4 CB.

Round 5 - pick 27 - RB Zac Stacy

I didn't know who Stacy was when we drafted him, and had been disappointed we'd missed out on a couple of other runners, but Stacy has been described as a steal by some of the experts and mentioned as a "bowling ball" and "a poor man's MJD" I'll take that! It also helps when Aden watches his highlights and is positive about him

'Im Not a crazed gunman dad, Im an Assasin! Well the difference being one is a job, and the others mental sickness!'
Crippler2032 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-13, 07:35 PM   #6
AndyCr15
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to AndyCr15 Send a message via Skype™ to AndyCr15

I think I remember you talking about Tavon Austin, you had him in Fantasy, right?

I like his patience, but I wonder how well his abilities will transfer to the NFL. I'm sure he'll likely be a very good slot receiver, what more he can do after that, we'll have to wait and see I guess. Looks like a good ball player though, should easily replace Amendola.
AndyCr15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-13, 07:45 PM   #7
Azreal
Major

Send a message via ICQ to Azreal Send a message via AIM to Azreal Send a message via MSN to Azreal Send a message via Yahoo to Azreal Send a message via Skype™ to Azreal

Rams did a hella job in the draft , my favourite picks are Stedman''studman'' Bailey and Zac Stacy, dont know why but I think Bailey will make more of an impact than Austin will in his first season,nobody made more ''clutch''(think it was 70?) catches than him (Stedman) last season in college.

twitter Ello
Old 29-04-13, 08:28 PM   #8
Crippler2032
Major

Send a message via ICQ to Crippler2032 Send a message via MSN to Crippler2032

Yeah, I had Austin in my fantasy team last year, half my college team got drafted, I'll have to try getting that lucky again :P

Of the players the skins took the only ones I know about are the 2 safeties. Rambo was mocked to the Rams in the midrounds a lot, most had him going in round 3. Had suspensions the past 2 seasons, and apparently (from what I've read) a lot of teams took him off their draft boards owing to him having gambling issues. Assuming you can keep him straight he's a steal in the 6th.

Really like the Ravens first 3 picks, Ozzie knows what he's doing drafting for that team!

In SD I really loved the Allen pick, he should be a steal, had been mocked in the mid-late first, to grab him in the middle of the 3rd is a steal, could end up as a starter there. I'm not big on Fluker (think he was a huge reach at 11, but their line is horrible so I guess anyone to protect Rivers is a bonus), and I just don't see what the big deal about Teo is

'Im Not a crazed gunman dad, Im an Assasin! Well the difference being one is a job, and the others mental sickness!'
Crippler2032 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-13, 08:28 PM   #9
Spiff

Send a message via MSN to Spiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBain View Post
I think I remember you talking about Tavon Austin, you had him in Fantasy, right?

I like his patience, but I wonder how well his abilities will transfer to the NFL. I'm sure he'll likely be a very good slot receiver, what more he can do after that, we'll have to wait and see I guess. Looks like a good ball player though, should easily replace Amendola.
I like this pick for them as well, a good replacement for Amendola and I too think he will fit well in the slot, my only concern is his 5' 9" size. Gonna have to be able to cut or have to bump off the tall CB's in the league. I know short doesn't mean he won't make it. But as a reciever height does help.
Old 29-04-13, 10:41 PM   #10
Azreal
Major

this perfectly sums up the Cowboys draft

twitter Ello
Old 01-05-13, 12:38 PM   #11
Azreal
Major

Its a little old, but one of the top scouts talking who he likes in this draft, worth listening to

http://www.profootballcentral.com/?p...=14973-podcast

twitter Ello
Old 03-05-13, 06:45 PM   #12
Azreal
Major

Interesting Notes inside the Ravens war room on draft day.

Quote:
Draft Room Is Nerve-Wracking

Ozzie Newsome is so calm during the draft.

I’m not.

Don’t like my heart broken.

I’ll give you an example. In 2007, we owned the 29th pick in the first round. We loved Joe Staley, a tackle from Central Michigan, but knew he was a long shot to make it to us. As the first round evolved, Staley was dropping, and the conversation in our draft room turned to what team could take Staley.

As we got closer to our selection, I had canonized Staley. In my mind, he was going to be our left tackle for a decade, go to Pro Bowls and was a player we could not live without.

Then, bam! The 49ers grabbed Staley with the 28th selection. My heart broke. I needed a Cher/Moonstruck slap to the face.

Ozzie didn’t bat an eye. “Tell them to write down this name: Ben Grubbs, guard, Auburn. And give it to the league.”

Both Staley and Grubbs became Pro Bowl players.

So it was last Thursday night in the 2013 first round. We loved Matt Elam, and I was engaged to him by the middle of the first round. “We’ll all sleep really well tonight if Elam gets to us,” Assistant General Manager Eric DeCosta said.

The belief by our scouts was that this was a good draft for safeties and inside linebackers, two areas of need for us. There were more outstanding linebackers than safeties, so the hope was that we could grab the safety in the first round and the linebacker in the second.

St. Louis and Dallas, two teams we believed wanted to draft safeties, traded down in the first round. Those teams would still pick in front of us, and our intelligence indicated that both teams had Elam high on their boards.
The Rams, at the 30th pick, took LB Alec Ogletree. Whew! Chad Alexander, our assistant director of pro personnel, who was on a headset to the NFL Draft Headquarters in New York, then said: “Dallas’ pick is in.” We all stared at Chad. “It’s Frederick” (the center from Wisconsin).

High fives all around. Ozzie called Matt Elam, and he became our 2013 first-round choice

Second-Round Drama
“We did sleep well after taking Elam,” DeCosta said. “And then we all had the kind of feeling with Arthur Brown that we had with Torrey Smith a few years ago. We thought there was a chance that Torrey could get to us in the second round, and he did. We wanted Brown, and we thought we had a shot.”

As the second round unfolded last Friday night, it became clear that Ozzie and Co. were not confident Brown would make it to our spot, the 62nd slot in the draft. Newsome and DeCosta started calling teams above us, hoping to move up. Seattle responded. They had the 56th spot. Moving up six places – by giving up our second-, fifth- and sixth-round selections – we drafted Brown. Even more enthusiastic high fives after that.

Sports Illustrated’s Peter King then wrote on Monday: “It’s well known how smart Ozzie Newsome and his staff are at working the draft. … Sources tell me Brown was going to be Houston’s pick at 57, and he was a strong consideration for Denver at 58. Great trade for Baltimore.”
The ‘Purple Board’

We all know that the draft now lasts three days with rounds four through seven taking place on Saturday. To help keep the enthusiasm and focus for those picks, our scouts and John Harbaugh stay up late Friday night and “re-stack our board.”

Imagine the largest wall in your house. That’s our draft board. The best players are at the top of the wall, listed in columns by positions. By the end of Friday night and the second round, the top half of the wall was clean – all those players had been drafted, and the card with their names on it had been taken off.

So around 11:30 p.m., the scouts and Harbs, under the direction of owner Steve Bisciotti, started moving names up the wall, and the wall looked filled once again. This extra space allowed the scouts to spread the names enough so that clear separation could now be seen among the remaining draftable players.

Steve invited scouts to show their passion for players they wanted. Great discussions took place, and there were verbal battles that, this year, lasted until 2:00 on Saturday morning. It is clear Steve loves this sparring. “He encourages scouts to fight for their guys,” DeCosta explained.

One thing Steve orchestrates is impressive. When the new board – nicknamed by the scouts as the “purple board” – was completed, Bisciotti asked each scout to put his name on the player he most wants the Ravens to take that day. Three scouts: Joe Douglas (our “National” scout), Milt Hendrickson (Midwest) and Andy Weidl (Northeast) put their initials on John Simon’s card.

You know what happened: we drafted Simon, a linebacker and team captain from Ohio State, near the bottom of the fourth round. Just before we selected Simon, Ozzie and Steve brought the three scouts into the room so they could be there when we picked the guy they showed so much passion for earlier that day. Kind of cool.
Best Moment Of The Draft

When Ozzie called Aaron Mellette to tell the Elon receiver we were taking him in the seventh round, this is what we heard Ozzie say: “Yes, this is real. This is Ozzie Newsome of the Baltimore Ravens. No, no, this is no joke. Look at the area code: 4-1-0, that’s Baltimore. Really, yes, really.” After convincing him that he was being drafted by us, Oz handed the phone to Coach Harbaugh. Harbs welcomed him to the Ravens and then said: “He dropped the phone, I think. Aaron, are you there? Aaron? I think they’re watching his name on ESPN right now. Aaron, are you there? I can hear a lot of shouting and screaming. There you are. Guess you and your family were watching TV.”

Fun. We shouldn’t forget how dramatic it is for these young men to be drafted. Not to mention getting drafted by the Super Bowl champs.

I’m Just Sayin’

Had the privilege of saying a few words to the rookies last night. Here’s what I noticed right away: first-rounder Matt Elam sat in the first row, center; second pick Arthur Brown was in a suit wearing a

purple shirt with a purple tie; and third-rounder Brandon Williams, second row, center, was also in a suit. Had never seen a rookie wear a suit to the first meeting. Most were in sweats.

Didn’t see it, but heard: After Simon signed his contract yesterday afternoon, he asked if he could use the weight room for a lift – and that’s what he did. Impressive.

Talk with you soon,

Kevin
source:baltimoreravens.com

twitter Ello
Old 05-05-13, 07:21 PM   #13
Azreal
Major

Washington Redskins draft grade

St Louis Rams Draft grade

Seattle Seahawks Draft Grade

San Diego Chargers draft grade

Baltimore Ravens Draft Grade

and for a good laugh
Dallas Cowboys draft grade

twitter Ello

Last edited by Azreal; 05-05-13 at 10:00 PM.
Old 30-05-13, 07:46 PM   #14
Azreal
Major

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2013/...-7-round-board

Cowboys draft board was leaked and there is some serious evaulation problems in Jerryland.

twitter Ello

Tags
2013, draft, nfl