Lanarchy LAN Events in North London Forum

Go Back   Lanarchy LAN Events in North London Forum > Interests > Board Gaming

Old 27-07-16, 07:39 AM   #1
AndyCr15
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to AndyCr15 Send a message via Skype™ to AndyCr15
Question Favourite Games

Come on, what are your favourite games?

I think Lords of Waterdeep is perhaps my favourite. I like there isn't as much random element as some games, you can't really tell who will win to the very end and I somehow enjoy it even if I don't do very well.

The one time we played Game of Thrones I rather enjoyed it, but the one time took 3 hours and we only really got half way in before we realised I was about to win (you know what a first play is like, you're not even sure how it ends until it;s almost too late).

I also like Takenoko for it's simplicity and just being fun to play.
AndyCr15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-16, 08:46 AM   #2
HUNTER
Major

Send a message via ICQ to HUNTER Send a message via AIM to HUNTER Send a message via MSN to HUNTER

I have recently picked up Marvel Legendary and love it. I've not played many deck building games but this one seems to work really well, even for 2 players.

Dead of winter is also pretty good, you need a RPG head on you to really enjoy it.

Played Game of Thrones a few times and have found some of it to be pretty unbalanced at 4 players which is a shame.
15/16 4-9-0 | 16/17 9-4-0 | 17/18 6-7-0
HUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-16, 09:40 AM   #3
AndyCr15
Administrator

Yeah, we played 4 player and I had a clear advantage with the whole south part of Westeros open to me...
Old 27-07-16, 04:21 PM   #4
HUNTER
Major

Send a message via ICQ to HUNTER Send a message via AIM to HUNTER Send a message via MSN to HUNTER

Yeah it is a bit silly, some people have invented house rules to stop that happening, such as changing the houses used so the middle ground becomes the open space for everyone.

I really want to look at playing Pandemic legacy.
Old 27-07-16, 04:46 PM   #5
AndyCr15
Administrator

I think Sc00bs is playing that one. Have to see if we can drag him back on here
Old 29-07-16, 12:14 PM   #6
Crippler2032
Major

Send a message via ICQ to Crippler2032 Send a message via MSN to Crippler2032

Some of my favourites (in not real order):

Ticket to Ride - TTR is a great game that everyone from beginner to experienced player can enjoy. It plays 2 to 5 players (4 for the best results), and has a good mix of luck and strategy.

Marvel Legendary - it's already been mentioned but I love this deck building game. Loads of Marvel heroes to play and villains to face (especially if you have the expansions). Plays 1 to 5 players, and is good fun no matter how many you have. It takes awhile to setup and put away, but is well worth the effort.

Betrayal at the House on the Hill - This is one of my favourite games that I don't own. I think it plays 2-4 but have only ever played it with 3 or 4. There's an expansion due around October. The game finds you exploring a haunted house, finding objects and omens and then the haunt happens (triggered after finding an omen). Once this occurs the players will be given one of 50 scenarios (giving it great replay value). One player becomes a traitor and the team will find themselves facing off against them, meaning either 1 or 3 players can win by completing their objectives.

I'll leave you with those for now and add some more next time

'Im Not a crazed gunman dad, Im an Assasin! Well the difference being one is a job, and the others mental sickness!'
Crippler2032 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-16, 07:54 PM   #7
Spiff

Send a message via MSN to Spiff

Ticket to ride is a good game. My family has been playing 7 Wonders a bunch. Once you learn it is a game that doesn't take more than a half hour to play and it different every time. We have friends that have a game called Pandemic that's pretty good.
Old 01-08-16, 11:53 AM   #8
HUNTER
Major

Do love ticket to ride, but now find myself trying to get the longest route whilst also connecting my tickets up which either works amazingly well or I crash and burn quickly.
Old 21-08-16, 10:49 AM   #9
AndyCr15
Administrator

I think Camel Up can be added to my list of favourites then. Played it twice yesterday with seven of us, great fun. Not entirely sure what the best strategy is yet. Leg betting seems to be the way to go perhaps.
Old 28-09-16, 12:21 AM   #10
Sc00by
Colonel

Send a message via ICQ to Sc00by Send a message via Yahoo to Sc00by

Some thoughts on stuff mentioned above.

Camel Up is great fun. I can get my gambling fix without actually losing real money! I like to bet on the overall winner/loser early and then I can enjoy the ride and trying to make it happen. Makes the swearing more fun too!

We have 4 maps to Ticket to Ride (Europe base, Switzerland (great for 2 players), one of the US maps, and the UK map (and their reverses)), I think my favourite is the UK map, partly because I know where everything is, but mostly for the additional rules that come with it, makes it another layer of thinking. Although it's probably not for everyone, if you love the base game it adds quite a lot.

I dislike Betrayal at the House on the Hill, but others in our regular group love it. It's too random and I don't feel like anything I do 'matters' until the big bad happens. We have had 2 or 3 great games, where it's been finely balanced and a whole bunch of meh ones which have seen one side steamroller the other (both ways)

I like 7 wonders, but have only played it a few times (despite owning it, there are just too many other games to play) We're still working the rules out, so not quite down to 30 minute games yet

We've just got the new Dead of Winter game, to go with the base game, we've only played it as a stand alone and it was OK, think it'll work better shuffled in to the base, I will report back, if I remember, after we've done that. We played the original without a betrayer mostly until we were beating it regularly, then mixed the betrayer back in. Now the betrayer's actions matter as we aren't going to lose regardless

Pandemic Legacy was a LOT of fun. Buy it, play it, swear at it
We enjoy the odd game of Pandemic too. We've got fairly good at it too, only really playing it on the 6 Pandemic card setting when we do get it out as we normally do OK on all the other settings.

Marvel Legendary? Nope. Not got/heard of/played that. As a rule I don't like deck building games as they just seem to be massive money pits. I played Magic the Gathering...

I like Takenoko, but as it's a 4 player game and our regular group is 5 players, so we don't get it out much.

I think I enjoyed the Game of Thrones game (we'll have to have a rematch) but it was over so quickly! :P

Lords of Waterdeep is a great game, the expansion (Scoundrels of Skullport) is a nice addition to it too. I like this game, although, again, we haven't had it out much recently due to the sheer weight of new stuff we're playing I always enjoy it when we do.

As to other stuff? We have a LOT of other stuff... I'd recommend any of the following (even those in the brackets under other stuff)

Want something puerile and really silly? (that doesn't make you lose hope in all of humanity (you know which card game I'm referring to) Epic Spell Wars of the battle Wizards (Battle at Mount Skullsfire) is for you. It IS silly and actually great fun the 1st few times you play it. Definitely a fun game to pull out to get people laughing. The 2nd one (Rumble at Castle Tentakill) isn't as much fun, even though it, in theory, has more gameplay in it. The 1st one is just a great laugh, although you do reach a point where you've seen all the silly pictures and heard all the jokes. The game it's self is still fun past that, but it does lose something.

I bought the big box of Carcassonne and we've not got as far as the 1st expansion yet. Seems to be good fun, if a little mind bending when it comes to scoring, we're getting there slowly though

Concept is more fun than I thought it would be. (I hate Pictionary, et al and was expecting something similar and it really isn't)

Mysterium is Concept meets Cluedo (complete with silly ghost noises, if you play at our table *WhooooooooOOOOOooooo*) and we spent the whole of a Saturday playing it, with us all having a turn as the Ghost. Fun was had, murderers were mostly uncovered. Many psychics were found to be frauds!

Arkham Horror and Elder Sign (the latter is a 'lite' version of the former, but a great game in it's own right) are collaboration games (like Pandemic and Dead of Winter (minus the Betrayer) and good fun, and reasonably 'easy' to not lose at.

I like Formula D. It's a great game if there's bunch of you and someone can keep track of who's go it is. We have the base game and 2 expansion tracks and all have been fun, in some way or another, thus far.

We have a lot more, (including, but not limited to; Five Tribes, Spartacus (I <3 Spartacus), Smallworld, Steam Works, King of New York) as there's a few of us and we seem to be buying a game a month, mostly stuff for 5 or more players, between us. Unfortunately we only play a couple of times a month or so, so whilst we've played almost* everything a few have only been played once or twice.

*One day we'll try Alchemists, but today is not that day

Silly little games: Got 10 minutes to kill? We have Love letter, Get Bit, Dobble, Tsuro (we have Tsuro of the seas too, but that takes a bit longer and will almost certainly result in you being eaten by a dragon, especially if you think you are winning) and Zombie Dice and all get trotted out at the end of evenings quite regularly.

Cautionary notes: We haven't enjoyed and have mostly exiled:
Last night on earth, seems great, but it didn't play as well as we hoped after the 1st game pretty much.
Smash Up, we really liked, then we bought one expansion too many and broke it You need to be awake to play it, even if you just have the base game, the mental book-keeping tax is high. It gave me headaches of epic proportions.
Settlers of Catan, I like it, but mostly if the dice hate you it's going to be a long game.
Ghost Stories is really, really hard (like we haven't beaten it on 'normal' without misreading a vital part of the rules).

But mostly we roll through the stuff we have, there's something in most games for everyone.

Last edited by Sc00by; 29-09-16 at 02:39 PM. Reason: typos
Sc00by is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
favourite, games