Lanarchy LAN Events in North London Forum

Go Back   Lanarchy LAN Events in North London Forum > Gaming > PC Gaming

Old 02-05-12, 11:27 PM   #1
Eostre

Default Samsung ES8000 and other bits

I'm planning on doing a complete overhaul of my TV arrangements at home. Currently, I have an old Sony 32" CRT, Sony DVD home cinema 5.1 and Sky+ (obviously not Sky HD). I also only have a Sky satellite dish and no terrestrial aerial.

I'm thinking of getting the following:

46" Samsung ES8000 (reviewed by Which? here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=za_VKRuhPKA)

Samsung HT-E5550 3D Blu-ray 5.1 home cinema (http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/t...em/HT-E5550/XU)

BT Vision (http://www.productsandservices.bt.co...?topicId=33387)

I need to get a company to install a terrestrial aerial in order to receive Freeview, but I also want them to re-route some of the cables from my Sky dish to the master bedroom where I plan to get a Freesat box and probably new TV for there too.

I also plan to get either an Xbox or PS3 too, but that's a side issue. The TV, BT Vision box and Xbox/PS3 will all be hooked up to my 100MB BT Infinity service.

Does anyone have any experience or opinions on Samsung TV's? I've always been a Sony fanboy, so would be interested to know the pros and cons of Samsung.

Also, am I doing anything foolish by having Freeview downstairs (which is needed for BT Vision) and Freesat upstairs? I've never had either before, so they are both completely new to me. My thinking on Freesat is that there seems to be more channels available on Freesat than Freeview (I'm in Milton Keynes).

Also, which would you do first - get the aerial guys in or get the TV/home cinema first? BT Vision can't install until the aerial is up.

Any views/opinions/advice are all welcome
Old 03-05-12, 08:55 AM   #2
HUNTER
Major

Send a message via ICQ to HUNTER Send a message via AIM to HUNTER Send a message via MSN to HUNTER

I'm a massive Samsung fan and picked up at 46" 3D LCD (http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/t...LE46C750R2KXXU) last year to replace a 32" LCD and it's done well. Great for playing PS3/Xbox and watching Blu-rays on the PS3 too.

I've always thought the Sony TVs are over priced compared to everyone and you'll get a better result out of the Samsung.

Why are you moving away from Sky?
15/16 4-9-0 | 16/17 9-4-0 | 17/18 6-7-0
HUNTER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-12, 07:47 PM   #3
Eostre

Moving away from Sky simply due to cost. To get their full package costs upwards of 60 per month, whereas BT is 12.50 - that's half of what I pay now (I only have Sky+ with the Entertainment Extra package). And for 12.50, you get all BT can offer.

Granted, Sky has a lot more channels, but most of which I don't watch. At the moment, my 4 year old watches the children's channels and on Sky there are so many loud, in your face adverts (I'm turning into Victor Meldrew, I know!). There are no adverts on the kids channels on BT Vision however.

Also found out today that BT will arrange an aerial installation if one doesn't already exist for 120. I guess that's not a bad price?
Old 03-05-12, 10:30 PM   #4
HUNTER
Major

Send a message via ICQ to HUNTER Send a message via AIM to HUNTER Send a message via MSN to HUNTER

I guess it depends on your knowledge of TV aerials.

This is true, I just stripped down my Sky TV package and it's still 30 a month.
15/16 4-9-0 | 16/17 9-4-0 | 17/18 6-7-0
HUNTER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-12, 07:12 PM   #5
Eostre

Well, I've taken the plunge and tomorrow my front room will enjoy lots of HD goodness!

I went for the Sony KDL-HX853 46" TV and Sony BDV-NF720 2.1 blu-ray /3D player. 3D glasses were extra unfortunately. On Tuesday, BT Vision arrives too! Getting the right stand was awkward though - the monolith design of the TV limits your options as you need a top surface of at least 110cm.

It feels like Christmas has come early for me!
Old 12-09-12, 07:04 AM   #6
AndyCr15
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to AndyCr15 Send a message via Skype™ to AndyCr15

It looks a nice TV, but always worries me when you have to install the manufacturers own software to get streaming working. The main reason I got another Samsung was when I saw how easy the first dealt with DLNA.

There's a standard already out there, why do Sony have to ask for it to be done their way? Not that that's new I guess... they made people use different memory in their gadgets when there was a perfectly acceptable standard already
AndyCr15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-12, 06:31 PM   #7
Eostre

I've never actually used DLNA before and don't know much about it. I don't think I have a real need for it, do I? I mean, movies and stuff are either on blu ray or streamed via BT Vision, YouTube, BBC iPlayer etc.

Just out of interest, what do you use DLNA for? Am I missing something here?
Old 13-09-12, 07:24 PM   #8
AndyCr15
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to AndyCr15 Send a message via Skype™ to AndyCr15

I have a file server downstairs that has Serviio, uTorrent and Torrent Episode Downloader. I tell 'TED' I watch 'Breaking Bad' for example. As a new episode of Breaking Bad appears online (usually pretty quickly after it's aired in the US) TED passes the torrent to uTorrent, which downloads it to a folder on the file server.

This folder is shared over the network by Serviio, using DLNA. Basically, I just turn on my TV, select 'source' to be Serviio and select the TV show I want to watch.

Lets say I start watching an episode downstairs, but someone else turns up and wants to watch something else. I come up stairs, go to the episode, start it and press the blue button and I carry on where I was before.

Of course it's not needed, but I love how it works. On my file server I have season after season (maybe 2TB?) of my fav TV shows. I barely ever need to put regular TV on.

(TED monitors about 25 shows for me)
AndyCr15 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
bits, es8000, samsung